Monday, April 16, 2007

Vietnam Veterans Memorial

I decided to pick one name on the Wall and mourn him while there, in an attempt to fully experience it.

I chose William Lutz.

A random unidentified tourist became a ghost of soldiers past in this picture.

William's page in the book listing where names can be found on the Wall. Listings in the book also include rank, branch of service, date of birth, date of casualty, and hometown.
~*~
Mumsy keeps asking me what I felt here. I'm not sure I can put it into words sufficient, but maybe this (which I wrote as I left) will answer those questions.

William Lutz: Pfc, Marine Corps, Philadelphia, PA.

I don't know you, but today I mourned you. I'm sure you were just a scarred young boy, feigning bravery in the hopes that it would chase away your fear. Somehow I doubt it worked.

Today I mourned your passing, your service, your sacrifice. I wept for you as I imagined unrealized dreams, and the girl you left behind. Tears filled my eyes as I thought of the pain of your family and friends.

My tears were not for you, alone, but for all the casualties of the Vietnam War. My tears for you were tears for them all.

William Lutz, Pfc, thank you for helping me mourn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home