Thursday, May 17, 2012

Day 1: Raining Rangers


After I passed over the top of Nevada Fall the number of the people on the trail dropped substantially. And, by that I mean from hundreds there were now ones. It was suddenly just me, my thoughts, and the sound of the waterfall and excited chatter fading away as I hiked into the back country.

Twenty feet later I was met by a group of park rangers. They chatted with me about where I was headed, and what my plans were, then they asked for my permit. I furnished it, then they checked my bear canister, returned my permit and wished me a good trip.

Forty feet later I was met by a second group of park rangers. They didn't really chat with me that long before asking for my permit. I was tired, and just wanted to get going, and, frankly, my permit wasn't exactly in a convenient location (I didn't have pockets in my pants, so it was in my pack) and getting it required effort that I didn't feel like expending. I was a little short with them. The main ranger I was speaking to returned my abruptness in kind. Then I asked, "Am I going to meet yet another group of rangers around the next corner that is also going to ask for my permit? I mean, how many of you guys are there?" Then he got it.

"Did you run into another set of rangers?"

"Yeah, 3 minutes ago. And, they asked me for my permit then, too."

"They did? Oh, we're the permit checking rangers, they were supposed to let us go first."

Well, that explained it, but it certainly didn't fix the fact that I had been less than chipper with them. And, I didn't feel like fixing it then, either. I was tired, and ready to pitch my tent for the night. Unfortunately, I had obtained what is called a "pass through" permit which means I couldn't camp in the first camp ground called Little Yosemite Valley and had another 2 or 3 miles left in my day.

So, I hiked on.

I hit Little Yosemite Valley and ran into a couple who had passed me at the outset of the day. "Hey! You made it!" the guy said.

"Yup! Well, sort of, I have another 2 miles yet today."

We chatted briefly, then I pressed on. As soon as I passed the edge of LYV I started looking for campsites. Which, you might be surprised to know, is kind of hard. You have to camp in a previously impacted area 100 feet from the trail in an area not visible from the trail. Trying to find a fire ring that you can't see from the trail while on the trail is, well, that hard.

But, find one I did, and I set up my tent, cooked dinner, and settled in for a night of rest.

That evening I knew my plan had already changed. You see, I wasn't 100% sure I was outside of the area where I wasn't supposed to be camping. So, to avoid a fine or getting kicked out or yelled at or whatever punishment they could impose, I decided I'd pack up and head to Sunrise High Sierra camp the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home