Saturday, May 19, 2012

Day 3: In Which I Rest

Day 3's adventures are pretty limited.

I woke in the morning and tried to boil water for breakfast. Building up a fire proved challenging, so I just ate some protein bars. Then I decided to find a way across the stream to the outhouse. I was successful in that and made a number of trips that day without incident.

The most important part of Day 3 was getting my boots and clothes dry. Despite the snow on the ground, the day was warm, as long as I was in the sun. Thus I passed the day lounging on cut tree stumps placed around the fire pit, moving around as the sun passed through the trees, trying to stay warm. I wore a short sleeved shirt, long johns, and no shoes (since they were the main focus of my drying out efforts). I also read.

Prior to heading to California I had gone to the used book store and purchased three ratty paper back books. My intent: pack them up and burn them as I read. Thus, they'd be great fire starter and I'd have less weight to pack down. By chapter 2 of the first book I couldn't burn any more. So, I destroyed a book, made it unreadable for anyone else, and ended up packing the thing down anyway. Oh well.

The only hole in my plan was my failure to put on sunblock. I ended up with a thin sunburn on the back of my neck as well as a patch of sunburn on the top of each foot. This little burn made lacing my boots up tightly a joy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home